Who can get coverage through the Marketplace?
To shop in the Marketplace, you:
- Must live in New York
- Must be a US citizen, national, or lawfully present immigrant (Different immigration rules may apply if you are eligible for Child Health Plus or NYS Medicaid based on your income)
- Cannot be currently incarcerated
Can I give someone else permission to get information about my application?
Anyone can call us to ask general questions, but we cannot discuss specific information about your application with anyone else, unless you give us permission to do so. This person is called an authorized representative. In this case, you will name Benefit Technology Group, Inc. as your authorized representative.
What do I need to apply for coverage through the Marketplace?
We ask about income and other information about you to tell you what coverage you qualify for and if you can get help paying for it. We keep all of the information you provide private, as required by law. For everyone applying for help paying for your health insurance through the Marketplace, you may need:
- Social Security numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants who need health insurance)
- Birth dates
- Employer and income information for everyone in your family
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance
- Information about any job related health insurance available to your family
What if I speak or read in a language other than English?
New York is a diverse state with many people that may speak or read in a language other than English. Call the Marketplace at 1-855-355-5777 for more information or help applying for coverage in your language. All help is free.
Why do I need to provide a Social Security number (SSN)?
The Marketplace needs Social Security numbers for everyone who has one and is applying for health insurance. We use SSNs to check federal and state data sources to help speed up the application process. Providing your SSN can be helpful even if you do not want health coverage. If you don’t have a SSN, call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or visit www.socialsecurity.gov to see if you can get a SSN and to apply for one.
Who should I include on my application?
Your income and family size help us decide what programs you qualify for. Include these people on your application for health coverage:
- Your spouse, if you’re married
- Any children you are caring for who live with you
- Your partner who lives with you
- Anyone you include on your federal income tax return
You do not have to file taxes to apply for health insurance coverage for the Marketplace. Anyone else who lives with you will need to file their own application if they want insurance. Not everyone has to be living at the same address to apply on the same application.